Q: How can I become a dog trainer?
A: In addition to my Books and DVDs, I suggest that you read as much as you can on the subject. Here is a list of books I recommend that are terrific and pretty easy to understand.
- So You Want to be a Dog Trainer by Nicole Wilde
- It’s Not the Dogs It’s the People by Nicole Wilde
- The Power of Positive Dog Training by Pat Miller
- Positive Perspectives by Pat Miller
- Don’t Shoot the Dog by Karen Pryor
- The Culture Clash by Jean Donaldson
- Calming Signals by Turid Rugaas
- How to Teach a New Dog Old Tricks by Ian Dunbar
- Dog Behavior by Ian Dunbar
Other good DVDs and videos are Train your Dog (Wilde) and Take a Bow Wow (Boightman). Ian Dunbar has also produced several excellent videos. They all can be ordered online at www.dogwise.com. Two excellent magazines to subscribe to are The Whole Dog Journal (whole-dog-journal.org) and Animal Wellness Magazine (www.animalwellnessmagazine.com).
I would also suggest you attend as many dog training seminars as you can and watch and listen to as many trainers as you can. Like anything else, some instructors are competent and others not so, but you can always learn something. The Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (www.spca.com) has an excellent teacher training program as does Pat Miller (www.peaceablepaws.com).
And if you’re also interested in working in the dog rescue arena, Best Friends Sanctuary (www.bestfriends.org) has seminars on how to start a rescue organization.
If you are in the Greater Los Angeles area, I offer the Raise With Praise Teacher Training Program. You can find out more on my Classes & Programs page. If you are not in the Greater Los Angeles area, stay posted as online training is coming soon!